Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Time to get caught up: Appearances!

Happy Hump Day! 
I've been in a really good mood on this Wednesday, despite having to go to the dentist (I hate going to the dentist,) knowing tomorrow is my last day of class for the week and then next week is Spring Break! It's a much needed break. 
I thought for my second post I would catch up on the appearances I have done since I was crowned. 

My first appearance was with my Miss Nebraska Teen USA, Savannah Rave, going on the Omaha Morning Blend to talk about pageant weekend, and our national Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants. We had a blast during our segment, and it was so cool to have that be the first appearance! You can watch the interview here




That same weekend, I was off to Arkansas to watch the Miss Arkansas USA and Miss Arkansas Teen USA pageant. It was such a fun weekend because I got to go with one of my Teen USA sisters, Miss Oklahoma Teen USA 2010, Kandis Holt. We have stayed in close touch since we were teens and had a blast together watching the pageant with no nerves and no responsibility ;). 


Kandis and I stayed with the current Oklahoma titleholders, Brooklynne Young and Brooklynne Bond! The time with "Big Brooklynne" as I like to call her, was great because that weekend we quickly decided we wanted to be roommates at Miss USA! It was so nice to click with someone so well and we have since became really close. 



During the weekend, all but two of the 2014 Vanbros titleholders were at the pageant so it was special to all meet for the first time. That night, Helen Wisner won the title of Miss Arkansas USA and Lauren Weaver won the title of Miss Arkansas Teen USA. 



I attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. During one weekend of the men's basketball season, The Big 10 put on the Suits and Sneakers Awareness Weekend as part of Coaches Vs. Cancer. The goal was to see which Big 10 school could have the most students dress up in their best "suit and sneakers." Whoever wins, would win money for their Relay for Life event. I spent the time before the game helping UNL's Relay for Life group count those students. Instead of a suit, I wore a dress, a suit jacket and sneakers! I had a great time helping out my school do something good for cancer! 


One of my favorite trips so far was when our directors took us to Chicago to look for our Miss USA registration photo gowns! Miss Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma USA and I were picked up in a stretch limo and went straight to Bridal Elegance for a day of pampering and trying out gorgeous gowns! Stayed tuned to see the dress I chose! 


Valentine's Day weekend, I was asked to judge the Miss Valentine pageant. All of the money for the event benefitted the Children's Miracle Network. My teen, Savannah, was also a part of the weekend, helping the girls get ready for the pageant and learn all of the stage patterns. There were over 40 girls and they were adorable. Watch out future pageant world! 


This next "event" wasn't really an event at all. It was a special weekend my mom and I got to experience together. Hello, NYC! I had never been so I was really pumped to see the city and shoot with the fabulous Fadil Berisha. Shooting with him was a dream of mine since I was Miss NE Teen USA, and to get to do it in his studio in NYC was an added bonus! Here are some behind the scenes pics, and a glimpse at a few of the finished products! 





After I took pictures with Fadil, I headed to the Miss Universe Organization office. It was AMAZING to see in person! I was smiling from ear to ear the entire time. While I was there, I ran into the Miss Universe Organization President, Paula Shugart. What a sweet and genuine woman! So welcoming too. After chatting with her about my great state of Nebraska, I filmed my video for the Road to the Crown series they are putting together to help viewers and fans get to know the 2014 Miss USA contestants! I'm so excited to share it with you as soon as it is finished. 


One special appearance I did was with my dad. We went to some schools in my hometown of Columbus to ask kids, "Why not you?" The idea of the talk was why couldn't they do something great in their lives? And, to chase their dreams no matter how big. While at one of the schools, I got to hand out "Student of the Month" awards. 




Bear with me! I'm almost caught up! 
At the end of February, I was asked to be a part of a photo shoot that would showcase the best in the bridal business across Nebraska. Everything from the perfect dress, to a gorgeous ring, beautiful hair and make up, bright bouquets and amazing photography. Here are some behind the scenes photos and some of the shots by Gleason Photography. Thank you to Thomas Sena for my hair, and Ashley Culp Gaa for my make up. 







Another event I got to do with my teen was host the American Girl Doll Fashion Show. Little girls dressed up matching their doll, and walked the runway for their friends and family as we read the history behind their style and their doll. The girls were naturals! 


Now, one of my most meaningful appearances so far was when I got to attend the Team Jack Gala. Many of you, especially if you love sports, watch ESPN or are from Nebraska, know of Jack Hoffman. Jack is an 8-year-old boy who had brain cancer, which is now in remission, and ran a 69 yard touchdown in the Nebraska Spring Game last season. The video, seen here, has well over 8 million views on YouTube. That's incredible! 
Anyway, this year my platform deals with pediatric cancer research awareness and finding funding and a cure. So, attending the Team Jack Gala was something near and dear to my heart. I was able to greet guests at the door, including coaches, college and NFL players, politicians, reporters (including Shelley Smith of ESPN,) and just all around supporters, fans, family, and friends. The night was filled with laughs, a ton of standing ovations, great food, and even some tears. I'm not sure exactly how much was raised, but I heard it was close to $200,000... in one night! How amazing is that?! Thank you Team Jack, for letting be a part of that historic night. I think about it often and how cool it was. 

Jack (top left), Nebraska football Head Coach, Bo Pelini (top right), Former Husker and now Cincinnati Bengal, Rex Burkhead (bottom left), and ESPN reporter, Shelley Smith (bottom right). 

Feels good to be caught up! From now on, I will be able to post after each appearance! Thank you for reading and I can't wait for more appearances and opportunities to head my way. I have a packed schedule the next 3 months, so get ready for more posts to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment